23 May 2014

Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding

Image source

A friend of mine brought a bunch of her books along to one of our monthly dinners. We all grabbed one or two to take home, with a promise to bring them back the next month and swap some over. This was the book I chose.

How many times have you seen a movie before reading the book? Not often for me, but this was one of those times. I have seen the first Bridget Jones movie a few times over the years and thoroughly enjoyed it at every viewing. I know that my experience of reading the book was shaped by having seen the movie, as I was reading it with RenĂ©e Zellweger's Bridget voice in my head.

As a novel, I really liked it. Written as a diary, it gives the reader access to Bridget's zany thoughts. Because of the diary-style writing, with shorter and sometimes incomplete sentences, I found that my pace of reading was  faster than usual and I read the book very quickly.


Book: Paperback. Borrowed from a friend.
Rating: I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: Loved it - even better than the movie!

2 comments:

  1. Love Bridget Jones diary. I started reading the diary column in our papers before it became a book. It's definitely one book where they got the casting spot on though (well, apart from it being an American, although she did a great job).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...