30 May 2014

Cloudstreet - Tim Winton

Image source

This was the Old Ducks Bookclub book for our May meeting.

It was the first Tim Winton book I've read and I wasn't disappointed. Initially, it took me a little while to get into it and to get used to Winton's style of writing. I must say that the lack of quotation marks for conversation really threw me. Sometimes I found myself having to go back and re-read passages just to make sure I had a handle on who was saying what.

The story spans twenty years of lives intertwined by circumstance. I found the juxtaposition of hard work and luck very interesting. I got so incredibly frustrated with some of the characters and the decisions they made. Some were plain unlikeable. And yet they drew me in.

I loved the cycle of life throughout the book and the closure with the spirit of the house's tragic past disappearing with a birth in the house. I also loved reading the Aussie vernacular in this book. It drew me in and helped me to picture the place and time.

I almost gave this four stars, but I just couldn't quite do it - I didn't enjoy the book enough to do so. And some of the Fish stuff didn't grab me. But I think the writing is amazing and the story is great. I probably wouldn't read it again now that I have read it, but I will definitely be reading more Tim Winton in future.


Book: Paperback. Borrowed from my local library.
Rating: I gave this 3 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: Complicated, out there, depressing, frustrating, but also amazing.

3 comments:

  1. I read Eerie from Tim Winton not long ago for Book Club and I disliked it very much and gave it a 1 star on Goodreads. Someone tell me what's with the no quotation mark... It drove me insane! But I do want to read Cloudstreet as I heard really good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good. I haven't looked into Eyrie yet. I probably will read it, but I want to read a few different things before going back to Tim Winton.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad we read it but it was sometimes mind blowingly descriptive and I too got lost in the middle of some of the conversations! Next book here we come!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...