16 July 2014

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Image source

This was our Old Ducks Bookclub book for June.

I first read this in high school (as most people would have). I remember three things from that experience:
  1. Having to memorise quotes for assessment - "You can kill all the bluejays you want but it's a sin to kill a mockingbird";
  2. Thinking Atticus Finch had it together in the courtroom;
  3. A fellow student kept saying "Articus" instead of "Atticus" - yes, it's funny the things you remember.
I wasn't terribly excited about reading it again. I couldn't remember the story - I just remembered that it wasn't one of the school texts I enjoyed a whole lot.

I definitely got a whole lot more out of it as an adult. Little pearls of wisdom scattered through the book are much easier to pick up and nod your head at with a few extra years' life experience under your belt. I had all but forgotten the story itself, so it had the mystery of a first reading with the "Aha!" moments which come with remembering something from long ago.


Book: Paperback. Borrowed from my local library.
Rating: I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: Interesting to re-read after many years. Full of wisdom.


3 comments:

  1. I felt exactly the same as you when I re-read it after school.
    Have the best day !
    Me xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw the movie... I know shame on me. I must read it. I feel I say that a lot these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite books. I really should give it another read too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...