08 July 2014

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne

Image source

My interest in this book is a prime example of pop-culture informing a decision to read literature. Before watching "Back to the Future 3", I had never given any consideration to reading a book by Jules Verne. But when Doc Brown so passionately recalled having read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea as a child, it sowed the seeds.

Fast-forward many years, I was perusing the bookshelves at my parents' place and discovered that Nonna owned this book. So I borrowed it.

It's a thick book. At times I skimmed through passages. At times I was a bit bored. At times I wanted to put it down. At one point, I thought that if I had to read another description of a fish, I would scream.

BUT.

There is no way I could have given it any less than the four star rating I gave it. And that is because it is so incredibly, amazingly intelligent that anyone with such a mind must be given due recognition. Jules Verne thought this stuff up long before submarines were a "thing". Not only did he have an incredible imagination, but he made it all sound scientific, giving seemingly plausible explanations for everything, so that you would walk away thinking: "Yes, that is entirely reasonable. Yes that could happen." That's what I like about science fiction and some fantasy - it makes you think that, given the right conditions, it's possible; that maybe it has the ability to not be fiction after all.


Book: Paperback. Borrowed from Nonna.
Rating: I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: I was blown away by the intelligence and imagination demonstrated in this book

4 comments:

  1. I never read it but I hope to get to it one day. But I love what you said: "it makes you think that, given the right conditions, it's possible; that maybe it has the ability to not be fiction after all." I feel exactly the same about fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I like about good fantasy reading :-)

      Delete
  2. HOORAY for Back to the Future and YES to the mentions of this book! It also made me want to read it. I have a copy. It's been third in my pile for a very long time, as book club suggestions and other things jump ahead. MUST. READ. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...