23 July 2014

Would You Like a Cup of Tea?

I've never been much of a tea drinker (except herbal tea - I've liked this for many years). Perhaps it comes from growing up in a coffee drinking family. Perhaps it was ingrained in the "caffeine culture" of law school, pulling all-nighters for assignments and sustaining oneself through take-home exams. Perhaps the "coffee run" (the modern smoko?) when I was cutting my teeth as a graduate corporate lawyer cemented its presence in my life. Whatever the reason, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee has always caught my attention and navigated its way towards my nostrils, and the flavour has always tantalised my tastebuds.

But I digress. This is supposed to be a blog post about tea.

I can track my evolution through stages of tea drinking through my changing behaviour on visits to my paternal grandmother (not the coffee drinking side of the family). When she first used to offer me a cup of tea, I'd ask if she had coffee. Occasionally she did; more often than not, she didn't. Then I would reluctantly accept tea. Nowadays I enjoy a cup of tea when I go there visiting.

Why the change?

It started when I was pregnant for the first time. I therefore (of course) put it down to hormones.

I just started developing a liking for tea. Nothing special, just your run-of-the-mill Lipton (not sponsored) black tea bags from the supermarket with a splash of milk. Thinking about it, the fact that I wasn't drinking coffee at this stage probably gave my taste buds the space they needed for me to expand my hot beverage drinking horizons.

The funny thing, though, is that after the baby was born, I no longer liked the taste of tea ... the first two times.

When MissyMoo3 was born, the taste for tea stayed with me. And although coffee is still my default hot drink, tea now has a firm place in my life. Like in the evenings. Sometimes I like to sit on the couch after the MissyMoos have gone to bed and have a lovely hot cup of tea. Another occasion is book club. Book club has turned me into a "real" tea drinker where, in addition to chatting about many things (sometimes even the book), we share a pot of tea. Yes, a pot of tea - none of this amateur tea bag stuff.

So as you can imagine, with my new-found tea drinking maturity, I was very happy to receive this from a friend for my birthday last month.




 Yes, it's tea! Tea that you make in a pot!





The only problem, as I quickly discovered, was that I didn't own a tea pot...

I didn't want to go and buy one considering I had already spent my birthday money (probably two times over, actually), so it was Nonna to the rescue!

Nonna isn't a huge tea drinker either and I don't think I've ever seen her make a pot of tea in my life, but it turns out she had a teapot, and she was happy to give it to me because she doesn't really use it.































Not only does it have a gorgeous tea cosy, but it comes with added sentimental value having been
purchased while Nonna and Par were on their honeymoon.

You will be happy to know that I can now say that I have made a pot of tea (should I add that to the bucket list and tick it?) and it wasn't too bad at all. I feel so grown up!








4 comments:

  1. Lovely teapot/tea cosy! I love both tea and coffee. I finally got around buying Returning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Yay, thank you so much for buying Returning! I hope you enjoy it!!

      Delete
  2. I love that your nonna came to the rescue with her teapot. Happy tea drinking Francesca :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...