21 August 2014

Book Week Costume: Hey Diddle Diddle

Hey diddle diddle,
The cat and the fiddle,
The
 
 
jumped over the moon.
The little dog laughed to see such fun,
And the dish ran away with the spoon.
 
 
Last year, I got creative. This year, we were organised enough to remember a couple of weeks in advance - enough time to order a onesie online. As a bonus, it ended up being quite a cold day, so MissyMoo1 was snug as a bug in a rug in her onesie at school. I had planned to make MissyMoo1 (7) a moon out of cardboard to jump over on the day, but I ended up completely forgetting about it until we were driving to school on the morning of the book week parade at school.
 
This year was the first year I was able to attend MissyMoo1's school book week celebrations, because in the previous two years they fell on one of my work days. This year, though, I could watch as every student in the school showed off their costumes. Elsa was a popular choice for infants girls and many of the little boys were superheros. As the kids got older, Dr Seuss and chapter book characters became more abundant.
 
MissyMoo1 was one of the kids from her class chosen to speak about who she was dressed as. It was a very proud mummy moment watching my big girl speak into the microphone confidently and clearly in front of the school and the many parents watching on.
 
After the parade, I had the opportunity as a parent volunteer to read to a small group of children for story time. Even my little girls listened along with the big school kids. They were a lovely, attentive group of kids and it was so nice to be able to volunteer at school while entertaining MissyMoo2 (5) and MissyMoo3 (2) at the same time. One bonus was that MissyMoo2's friend from playgroup last year (who is in kindy this year) was in the group I read to, so they sat next to one another during group time. MissyMoo2 could almost pretend she was a big school girl (and she was chuffed - she can't wait to go, but that's for another blog post).
 
We finished off with a yummy parent morning tea. Mmm, coffee and chocolate cake...

I'm so happy that Book Week encourages children to think about the stories they read and express their enjoyment of books in a fun way. It might be a pain to think ahead and prepare, but the have so much fun that it's all worth it. These are what memories are made of.
 
 
 
Do your kids dress up for book week, or did you as a child? What's your favourite character?
 

2 comments:

  1. Great costumes, I think we are going Peter Rabbit and Mr McGregor this year so quite easy - PHEW, as I'm not a seamstress! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ideas! I'm no seamstress either, hence the onesie :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...