17 August 2014

He Chose the Nails - Max Lucado

Almost three years ago now, I came across two Max Lucado children's books from two completely different sources within a couple of months of one another. A year later, we bought this one for our God-daughter. I was very impressed by the messages of love and acceptance in those books - they work at face value but can also be taken to a religious or spiritual level with your children if you're that way inclined.

Anyway, the reason for that long-winded introduction is that I later discovered that Max Lucado has also written many books for adults. He Chose the Nails is one of them.

Image source

Every Lent and Easter, when I take the time to reflect on things, I am moved by the stories of Jesus' suffering. But sometimes I wonder if, after reading and hearing about it my whole life, I am possibly becoming desensitised to the enormity of its meaning. For me, it's by reflecting in different ways that I am able to reconnect emotionally and spiritually with the profoundness of the message.

He Chose the Nails was a brand new way for me to reflect. The book is split into chapters based on different events within the Passion, which focus on different symbol each time. In an easy-to-read, informal style of writing, Lucado ties the symbolism to a "take home message", throwing in real-life examples along the way to help the reader find the relevance in modern everyday life of something which happened 2000 years ago.

Book: Paperback. Bought from my local Koorong shop.
Rating: I gave this 5 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: One to keep on the bookshelf - I'll hopefully refer back to this in times of apathy.

6 comments:

  1. He was one of my favourite authors as a kid. My mum bought his books and I would steal them.
    Been years since I read anything of his though. I should have another look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got another one on the bookshelf waiting to be read but I'm getting some fiction reading under my belt before I make a start on it :-)

      Delete
  2. Never heard of him Francesca but would be interesting to check him out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really down-to-earth way of reading about scripture - quite refreshing.

      Delete
  3. I've not read any of his books Francesca. It's always nice getting recommendations. I daren't ask if it might be suitable for Old Ducks knowing the list of to-be-read books that has already built up but maybe a book for my personal reading time if not bookclub?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would definitely suit Old Ducks, but adding it to the list might take us into next year!!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...