28 August 2014

James and the Giant Peach - Roald Dahl

Image Source


I don't think I read this book as a child. Well, maybe I did. I read a lot of Roald Dahl as a child but I didn't remember this one. I borrowed it for MissyMoo1 (7) to read.

In New South Wales, school children do what's called the "Premier's Reading Challenge" (PRC). There are looooong reading lists for each stage (K-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-9) and in order to complete the challenge, children are required to read a certain number of books from the relevant list and a few free choice books too. MissyMoo1 is in Year 2 this year, but she decided to do the year 3-4 challenge this year, as those were the types of books she usually reads anyway.

MissyMoo1 borrows books weekly from her school library and I also borrow books for her from our local library. Our town library makes it so easy to select books for PRC, as there is a special PRC section in the library and each PRC book has a sticker on the back indicating which level booklist it is on.

This is how I came to borrow James and the Giant Peach for MissyMoo1.

After she finished reading it, I was looking at it trying to figure out whether I had read it before. This turned into me sitting down, opening it up and starting to read.

This book is classic Roald Dahl: imaginative storyline, exaggerated characters, made-up words and fun! I think I enjoyed it just about as much as MissyMoo1 did.


Book: Paperback. Borrowed from my local library.
Rating: I gave this 5 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: One of Dahl's shorter kids' novels but not short on enjoyment!



2 comments:

  1. I adore all Roald Dahl.
    I just saw a stupid news story pop up in my facebook newsfeed about a supermarket pulling one of his books off the shelves as it was not suitable for children. Totally made my blood boil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure I had read this book when I was younger too, but I am really not that sure. It is such a great story, I have the movie on our hard drive ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...