13 September 2014

Notebooks

I love stationery.

When I was in high school, my friend and I would sometimes go "into town" after school or on weekends and just wander the (two) aisles of the newsagency, admiring.

Fast forward a few years to when my parents bought a newsagency business of their own and I was in heaven. I got to look at it all the time then and, knowing the fondness I had for stationery, my parents allowed me to order it for the shop as part of my work there. It was wonderful. When I wasn't serving customers, I would flick through the supplier's latest catalogue, professionally taking notes, of course.

At the time of my newsagency days, I was also a uni student, so my main focus for stationery needs revolved around things like pens, highlighters, sticky notes and folders.

Nowadays, I have less reliance on sticky notes - an unsupervised pad of sticky notes doesn't last 5 seconds in this house, as the stationery vultures MissyMoos adopt them for their latest "library" or "shop" game. Highlighters are only used in secret because when they see the light of day, they generally like to party and leave their mark on MissyMoo arms and legs (I never knew parenting would affect my stationery use - there's a topic for the guidebooks!).

These days, I continue to keep a paper diary - it fills a place in my heart which an iPhone calendar could never replace. Cool pens are a constant - you can't have a stationery equation without them.

Recently, notebooks have become my "thing". I've really noticed, even more particularly in the past few months, that the words flow much more easily for me when I am writing them down on paper. Even this blog post was first written in a notebook. It would not have been nearly as easy or enjoyable to write if I had been sitting at the computer. That's just the way I write.

So, notebooks. I have a few.


The two big floral ones at the back were a congratulations gift from a friend for my book launch. The big one in the middle at the back is the current home for my first draft of Returning's sequel. The Paris book holds blog post ideas and scribbles. The black with pink corners has the chapter plan for Returning's sequel. The rainbow one at the front was a Mother's Day present from MissyMoo1 (7) and is where I write draft blog posts (including this one).

After taking this photo, I discovered a couple more.

I love the promise of opening a blank book (or even just a blank page) and beginning to write. I love seeing words forming and coming alive on a page. I love the flow of words reflected and enhanced by the flow of running writing in a book: from my mind through my hand, one letter joined to the next, forming word after word, sentence after sentence until, at last, the creation is complete.



13 comments:

  1. I'm a big stationery lover too Francesca. I totally understand your appreciation :-) I'd like to buy more notebooks and colourful ones too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more colourful, the better!

      Delete
  2. I am a stationery addict and have been since school days. My two kids are the same and I wonder whether it is nature or nurture lol. Each of us has enough notebooks to last for years. They are irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering the same, Deb. My eldest daughter has so many pencils and pretty erasers, it's too much even for me!

      Delete
  3. I adore stationary! I never have enough of notebooks and pen! And, you are right, there is definitely something special about seeing handwritten words on paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've realised how many I have now that I've started packing boxes, oops!

      Delete
  4. My husband recently bought me a gorgeous vintage-looking notebook. I LOVE it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Francesca, Hope you're doing well! Lots here too! Can't live without them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa! The more, the merrier!

      Delete
  6. I'm a bit of a notebook girl too - I have half used ones all over the place!!! Mainly blog and work related though not personal x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have a few half used ones too. It will be interesting to see what I find when I unpack after we move!

      Delete
  7. OMG I am so like you - I hoard notebooks and even though I am not even half way thrugh one, I itch to use a new one. Its a legitimate addiction haha xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...