31 October 2014

Packing Boxes

Having now moved house twice in 11 months, I figure I can lay claim to knowing a thing or two about packing boxes.
 
Here are some words of wisdom from yours truly.
  
1. Let the kids "help"
They will want to anyway. Letting them draw on the packaging paper or newspaper is no big deal, keeps them away from the breakables and puts a little smile on your face when you unpack the masterpiece at your next abode.
 
 


2. Stock up on tools of the trade
Packaging tape is your best friend. A good marker to label boxes is a must (you will not remember what's inside each box when you're packing up a 4-bedroom house). I also prefer a Stanley knife to scissors to cut the tape and then to cut open the boxes after moving - packing tape makes scissors icky sticky.


3. Get as many boxes as you can - and then some more
You will always need more boxes. Even when your place looks almost empty, there will remain boxes of bits & pieces which need to be packed up.

Proper removalist boxes are good for big stuff. They're even better when you get them second hand from a colleague and cost you nothing. Oh and here's a bonus pearl of wisdom: don't fill these big 'uns with books - removalists don't like that!


Ask friends and local businesses for smaller boxes. Relieve your school canteen of their excess.


Nappy boxes are a great size for most household items. We saved ours up between moves.


 4. Bags are good too
These bags are great for stuffing clothes and soft toys into. Super cheap too.


5. It will end
You will move, unpack and relax eventually.
Here is just a small reminder of what the last few weeks in the rented house looked like. Sitting where I am sitting now, these photos renew my relief that it is all over.



I am SO glad this move is over. I have no desire to further develop my box packing skills in future. It's the feeling settled skills which I intend to become an expert In :-)

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing what you learn when you are moving - LOL. I know that we still have one room to do and then the house is done - however long A takes to sort his shed out isn't my issue !!!! He will be pottering away in there for many years to come.
    Enjoy your new home and I hope you learn to stop and smell the roses when you are settled !
    Me xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...