28 November 2014

Advent Calendar 2014

Long time followers of my blog will know that I'm not so keen on chocolate Advent calendars, which for a chocoholic like me is saying something. Apart from not needing an excuse to eat chocolate, for me, Advent is preparing for the celebration of Christmas being the birth of Jesus and that is what I am trying to teach my children about, so chocolate doesn't cut it.

I like to have activity-based Advent calendars which bring things back to the reason for the season. But my Advent calendar efforts seem to be getting more effortless every year ... in the sense that I'm putting less and less effort into them.

In 2012, I was Advent calendar queen (if I do say so myself). In 2013, there was slightly less effort involved, but I was still prepared.

And here we are in 2014, with Advent beginning THIS SUNDAY! I'm completely not ready. We have had / are having a busy couple of weeks, with a birthday, swimming intensives, a sacrament and school orientation continuing on top of the usual juggling act of having little kids and working.

I nearly succumbed and bought a chocolate one at the supermarket...

But I stayed strong. This year, I bought an Advent calendar at my local-ish Koorong shop (not sponsored). I also bought a Christmas story colouring in book for each child and figured they can each work at theirs at their own pace.



I've also printed off a picture of an Advent wreath with candles for each child. I'm hoping that every Sunday in Advent, we'll colour in a candle, talk about what each candle means and, by Christmas, have completed an easy craft wreath. We did this last year and it was a simple way to do some Advent craft and bring the focus back to our beliefs.

1 comment:

  1. YAY for someone else who doesn't give in to chocolate advent calendars !!!
    Have a great week !
    Me xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...