25 February 2015

2014 Reading Challenge Wrap-Up

As you can see from my "Reading" page on this blog, I like to read. I'm part of a book club, which meets monthly, so the books I read are a combination of those I choose myself and those chosen by other members of the book club.

I rarely blog in-depth reviews, but I like to keep track of the books I read - not just the stories within them, but also the physical book itself. I had been doing that through individual book posts, but I've fallen way behind blogging them. Oops...

On Goodreads (if you're not on Goodreads, join! And add Returning to your to read shelf!), you can be part of a reading challenge each year. I've done it the past couple of years and in 2014, I actually surpassed my goal! I had hoped to read 25 books and ended up reading 28 in the year - an effort I'm quite chuffed with.

Although February seems a little late to be doing a "wrap-up" style post from the year before, I like to call myself a relaxed blogger. So, without further ado, here are a few titles I read late last year



The Laughing Clowns by William McInnes


Image source
Book: Paperback. Borrowed from my local library
Rating: I gave this 3 stars on Goodreads
One-liner: A good "ordinary" story and a light, easy read.




The Fast Diet by Dr Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer


Image source
A good friend of mine has been on this diet for two years now, so I was interested in learning more about it. It was a very convincing book and I may consider this down the track - but right now energy intake, rather than weight loss is my priority so it will remain in my bookshelf for now.

Book: Paperback. Borrowed from my friend, but then bought online through BookDepository
Rating: I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads
One-liner: Easy to read and convincing.




Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë


Image source
Brilliant. I loved it. Goes to show how different sisters can be, because I couldn't stand Wuthering Heights.

Book: Paperback. I own it. Can't remember when or where I bought it.
Rating: I gave this 5 stars on Goodreads
One-liner: Brilliant. I loved it.




Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe by Fannie Flagg


Image source
Book: Hardcover. Borrowed from my local library.
Rating: I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: I really enjoyed the way this book used different times, scenes and ways to weave a wonderful story.




Grace: More than we Deserve, Greater than we Imagine by Max Lucado


Image source
Book: Paperback. I own it - bought from my local Koorong shop.
Rating: I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: Another thought-provoking and heartening book by Lucado. Easy reading, too.




La Place by Annie Ernaux


Image source
This book was a text I bought when I studied French at uni and it has been sitting on various bookshelves (or in boxes) ever since. I was chuffed that I still managed to understand it after all these years. 

Book: Paperback. I own it - bought from the uni Co-op Bookshop back in the day.
Rating: I gave this 3 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: Read in the original French, this was an interesting insight into the protagonist's life, particularly with respect to her relationship with her father.



The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman


Image source
Amazing Australian book. My mum bought this and thought I would enjoy it. She was right.

Book: Paperback. Borrowed from my mother.
Rating: I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads.
One-liner: Very thought-provoking, well written book. Make sure you have tissues on hand!



So there you go, that's the rest of 2014 done and dusted. Stay tuned for a post on my reading plans and progress so far in 2015.





1 comment:

  1. Great list of books there Francesca! I'm particularly interested in La Place (well done you reading it in French) and The Light Between Oceans.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...