18 May 2015

Eurovision 2015!

Yes, it's that time of year again.

Image source

As you may, know, I'm into Eurovision.

This year, it's even better than ever because, as part of the 60th anniversary of Eurovision, Australia has been invited to participate as a reward for our devotion to this musical institution! And as an added bonus, we get to vote!

Given the increased importance of this year's event for Australians, I decided to do something I have never done before to prepare myself. I watched the preview videos. Yes, every single one. So you are now reading my most researched blog post ever.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality this year. Last year's contest was a little disappointing to me, so much so that I did not purchase the 2014 CD to add to my collection of 2013, 2012 and 2002 competition songs. This year, my faith in Eurovision has been restored and the 2015 CD will be on order soon!

As well as most of the songs being ones I would happily listen to again, there are still a few non-English speaking countries singing songs in their country's native language! Thank you! Part of Europe's beauty is its rich cultural diversity and it has so many beautiful languages which are not showcased because they'd rather try to grab votes by singing in English. I get it, more people understand and connect with the lyrics if it's in English. But in my opinion, a huge cultural and linguistic opportunity is lost every year in doing so. Rant over.

Before I rank the entrants according to my preference, let me just say that Guy Sebastian was a fantastic choice to represent Australia at Eurovision. I intended to rank his song highly even if it was crappy, but I did not need to artificially rank him - he'll do us proud.

I preface the following ranking with the comment that I only watched each preview video once and over a few nights, so some of the middle order could be moved around. I could also change my mind after watching the performances. But without further ado, here are my preview rankings of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest entrants!


  1. Italy:  "Il Grande Amore" sung by Il Volo - I'm sorry Guy, I really wanted to put you first and Italy second according to my personal allegiances, but here's the thing(s): three Italian men singing in Italian in operatic voices, with an obvious sense of humour in their filmclip which re-enacts love scenes in "Ghost", "Spider-Man" and "Back to the Future"!!! It's like they know me.
  2. Australia: "Tonight Again" sung by Guy Sebastian - bloody brilliant! Catchy, awesome, all the good things about Guy. Lots of fun, great filmclip too. It will be a party onstage on the night.
  3. Hungary: "Wars for Nothing" sung by Boggie - beautiful voice, beautiful song, beautiful harmonies, beautiful message.
  4. Spain: "Amanecer" sung by Edurne - powerful, moving and sung in Spanish - yay!
  5. Lithuania: "This Time" sung by Monika Linkytė and Vaidas Baumila - so catchy, fun, full of laughter and niceness.
  6. Albania: "I'm Alive" sung by Elhaida Dani - catchy song, great acoustic guitar intro, powerful pleasant voice. 
  7. Azerbaijan: "Hour of the Wolf" sung by Elnur Huseynov - powerful ballad, great voice, my kind of song.
  8. Iceland: "Unbroken" sung by Maria Olafs - beautiful song, catchy, great voice. A hit!
  9. Russia: "A Million Voices" sung by Polina Gagarina - anthem alright!
  10. Norway: "A Monster Like Me" sung by Mørland and Debrah Scarlett - yes, great duet!
  11. Greece: "One Last Breath" sung by Maria Elena Kyriakou. - great powerful song, key change , love ballads.
  12. Denmark: "The Way You Are " sung by Anti Social Media- so catchy, just great.
  13. Romania: "De La Capat / All Over Again" sung by Voltaj - just wow, I may have wiped away a tear.
  14. Estonia: "Goodbye to Yesterday " sung by Elina Born and Stig Rästa - really good duet. Clever, not overpowering. 
  15. Austria: "I Am Yours" sung by The Makemakes - good slow rock sound, love the piano.
  16. Poland: "In the Name of Love " sung by Monika Kuszyńska - moving, beautiful, especially when you read the back-story.
  17. Ireland: "Playing with Numbers" sung by Molly Sterling - I really liked this song, it shouldn't be this low on the list except that I like the ones above it too. I'd like to hear more of Molly in future.
  18. Malta: "Warrior" sung by Amber - great voice, powerful song.
  19. Israel: "Golden Boy" sung by Nadav Guedj - EUROVISION! Not just another pop song, but one with a bit of flavour from the country it represents, YES!
  20. France: "N'oubliez pas" sung by Lisa Angell - very nice, great voice and you can count on the French not to sing in English!
  21. Slovenia: "Here for You" sung by Maraaya - catchy, cool indie pop.
  22. San Marino: "Chain of Lights" sung by Anita Simoncini and Michele Perniola - sweet, like high school musical with Italian accents.
  23. Portugal: "Há Um Mar Que Nos Separa" sung by Leonor Andrade - I liked the chorus, the language, but as a package it seemed to lack something.
  24. Montenegro: "Adio" sung by Knez - yay, another song sung in the country's language!
  25. FYR Macedonia: "Autumn Leaves " sung by Daniel Kajmakoski - I liked this.
  26. The Netherlands: "Walk Along" sung by Trijntje Oosterhuis - catchy, love the guitar, I think this will grow on me the more I listen to it.
  27. UK: "Still In Love With You" sung by Electro Velvet - catchy, loved the sound and scat.
  28. Belarus: "Time" sung by Uzuri and Maimuna - I didn't like it much at first but the violin was incredible and by the end, I was humming the catchy chorus.
  29. Germany: "Black Smoke" sung by Ann Sophie - confident performance but the song didn't really stand out in my opinion.
  30. Georgia: "Warrior" sung by Nina Sublatti - not bad, ok.
  31. Czech Republic: "Hope Never Dies" sung by Marta Jandová and Václav Noid - good duet, doesn't stand out though.
  32. Armenia: "Face the Shadow" sung by Geneology - different. I like the idea of a person in the group from each continent all linked by their Armenian heritage. The song may grow on me.
  33. Sweden: "Heroes" sung by Måns Zelmerlöw - cross between Mumford and Sons and Crash Test Dummies.
  34. Cyprus: "The One Thing I Should Have Done" sung by John Karayiannis - nice, but boring.
  35. Switzerland: "Time to Shine" sung by Mélanie René - cliché, uninteresting. Credit, though, that the singer wrote her own song.
  36. Serbia: "Beauty Never Lies" sung by Bojana Stamenov - I wanted to like it, but it was boring.
  37. Moldova: "I Want Your Love " sung by Eduard Romanyuta - b grade pop song. Boring.
  38. Latvia: "Love Injected" sung by Aminata - tried too hard, disjointed, not my thing.
  39. Belgium: "Rhythm Inside" sung by Loïc Nottet - boring.
  40. Finland: "Aina Min Pitää" sung by Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät- I'm just not into Finnish punk. At. All.
So there you go, some food for thought. Now I'm looking forward to watching the performances in the contest. Not sure if I'm hard core enough to get up at 5am on a work day to watch the first semi-final though...



1 comment:

  1. Wow you sure do like Eurovision - I am WELL impressed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...